Fri, 03 Apr 2020

Newman suffered head injuries, vows to return

Field Level Media
24 Feb 2020, 05:55 GMT+10

Six days after being injured in a horrific crash at the end of the Daytona 500, NASCAR driver Ryan Newman on Sunday issued a statement providing an update on his condition, thanking his supporters and pledging to return to racing.

Speaking at Las Vegas Motor Speedway hours before the start of the Pennzoil 400, Roush Fenway Racing President Steve Newmark read a lengthy statement from Newman.

"I'm sorry that I can't be at the track in person, but I asked Steve to take a moment to express my sincere appreciation and gratitude for all the support that was shown last week to both me and my family," Newman said in the statement. "The outpouring of emotion from not only the NASCAR community, but across the country has been truly humbling."

After thanking doctors, fans, NASCAR, the media and Roush Fenway Racing, Newman offered details on his diagnosis, which until Sunday had not been made public.

"I was fortunate to avoid any internal organ damage or broken bones. I did sustain a head injury for which I'm currently being treated," Newman said. "The doctors have been pleased with my progression over the last few days."

Newman ended the statement providing a peek into his plans once healthy enough to get behind the wheel.

"I have spoken with Jack Roush and he has assured me that the No. 6 car will be waiting and ready for my return," he said. "I'm looking forward to getting behind the wheel and battling for another race win in the Roush Fenway Ford."

Newman was leading the Daytona 500 heading into the final turn last Monday when he was bumped from behind by Ryan Blaney, turning and slamming into the wall. Newman's car flipped, was hit by Corey LaJoie's Ford, flew in the air and landed on its top. The car caught fire and skidded across the finish line upside down, with flames coming from his car.

Rescue crews put out the fire and cut off the roof of the car to extricate the 42-year-old Newman, who was transported to Halifax Health Medical Center in Daytona Beach, Fla.

Late Monday night, Roush Fenway Racing released a statement saying Newman was listed in serious condition with non-life-threatening injuries.

Less than two days later, Newman was released from the hospital. A photo and video of him leaving the building with his two daughters holding his hands went viral.

Ross Chastain drove Newman's No. 6 Ford in Sunday's race.

--Field Level Media

More Las Vegas News

Access More

Sign up for The Las Vegas News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!